[OSM-talk] osm2shp

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Dec 20 10:01:35 GMT 2007

>I'm trying to persuade some colleagues that OSM data is worth looking
>into for future publications but if we can't even get it into our GIS
>(ESRI or Intergraph) by converting a .osm file into either, SHP, MIF,
>TAB, GML, MDB I'm onto a losing streak.

OK! There have been a number of osm2shp related posts lately. I'll try and
prioritise sorting it out for 0.5. Given how much of the effort in the
existing version was dealing with segments, this shouldn't be too hard :-)

The app will be a command line C++ application suitable for both Linux and
Windows, with minimal dependencies (only expat, I think) which could be
distributed with the app as a dll anyhow I suspect. If people want a GUI
interface too let me know and I can add one in.

Nick