[OSM-talk] Subway station vs. subway entrance

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Feb 18 12:43:11 GMT 2007

Guenther Meyer wrote:
> Am Sonntag 18 Februar 2007 04:37 schrieb Iván Sánchez Ortega:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When mapping the subway network of a major city... should we tag just one
>> node per subway station, or should we tag every subway entrance[1]??
>>
> I would prefer to have only one icon per station, placed in the middle.
> This should be sufficient, because when you are near this point one can
> usually see the entrances.
> drawing every single entrance would clutter up things.

You obviously don't have to deal with the underground complexes that are
modern underground/subway stations :(

I can think of several London stations that have long underground routes
between stations and from convenient ground level entrances to the
different platform complexes.
While I was in Prague I also had trouble finding the 'stations' since
they were not necessarily accessed from a single entrance? The bottom of
Wencesslas Square was quite complex and you had to work out where you
were when you reached ground level.

At some point, a set of ways for the various routes would be nice, and a
set of ways for the underground complexes that make up a station would
be nice - when we have ground penetratingly radar linked to the GPS :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL