[OSM-talk] Deprecation/move of incorrect tags

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Jul 13 03:07:30 BST 2007

Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Alex L. Mauer schrieb:
>> I'd like to propose the deprecation of the following "highway" values:
>>
>> steps (move to properties: steps=yes)
>> mini_roundabout (move to junction=mini_roundabout)
>>
> Two ACKs. BTW: Thanks for helping in cleaning up stuff, I do appreciate
> it ;-)

right back at you!

>> The following do not belong in highway in my opinion, but I have no
>> better place for them at the moment; any suggestions?:
>>
> Finding a better place might be the harder part :-(

agreed.  it is my opinion that they should be dropped entirely and
changed to be generic paths with restrictions as necessary ( see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Trail -- RFC
coming up right after this).  in particular highway=cycleway doesn't
belong even in a legal sense, since bicycles don't have a right of way
on those (by my understanding) -- while bridleway= and footway= do exist
as legal rights of way

>>services
>>
> Probably should stay in highway, think of it as service stations at
> motorways, may even have a dedicated exit nr.
> We also have motorway_junction and probably another one shortly, so this
> one seems fine to me.

In particular I object because the services are not part of the road
itself, and because of the potential confusion with highway=service
(note the distinction -- I am suggesting removing the plural not the
singular)

>> incline
>>
> move to properties: incline=10%, probably also add another one
> decline=10%. incline only is not enough, as the direction of the
> segments of oneway's might need to be different than the "direction" of
> the incline

Excellent idea.  I'll write a proposal for it.

>> incline_steep
>>
> remove completely, use incline with a percent value only
>> viaduct
>>
> special case of a bridge, which is already a property - move to
> properties? This would also remove railway=viaduct as well

could add a value to bridge: bridge=viaduct...

>> bus_stop
>>
> while we need this tag, I'm still not sure how I actually have to *use*
> it. Simply a node in the highway or some small highway=service
> explicitly to/from it?

I agree we need it, but I don't think it should be part of highway.
Maybe we need a series of bus tags (bus:stop, bus: station, bus:route?)
Around here, the bus stops are just a spot (usually a signpole, maybe a
small shelter) where the bus will pull to the side of the road --
shouldn't need a highway=service.

> What I find strange here is to have bus_stop (only a halt) under highway
> and bus_station (a bigger station) under amenity.

Yeah, see above for additional comments on that.  I'm not going to
propose fixes for that for now though, I just think highway=bus_stop is
totally wrong.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"

--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.