[OSM-talk] the coast and colour of the sea

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Wed Oct 31 17:29:11 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog at gmail.com>
To: "Paul" <mylists at wilsononline.id.au>
Cc: "OSM" <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] the coast and colour of the sea

> On 10/31/07, Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:
>> Just looking at the coast of Australia and its very hard to tell which
>> is sea and land using the main default OSM map.
>> eg
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.2991&lon=150.1429&zoom=12&layers=B0F
>
> For most parts of the world the coastline data used by mapnik isn't
> good enough to be able to colour it. t at h uses the stuff in the DB
> which is often better.
>
> The answer is to update the shapefiles, but I have no idea how...

I belive Artem had some tools which took the OSM natural=coastline data and
converted this to the files needed for the sea layer in Mapnik.  This is why
if you look at an area around

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=50.895&lon=-1.402&zoom=14&layers=0000F0B0

the Mapnik and Osmarender layers are vitually identical

David