[OSM-talk] Suggestion more complete mapping verifactiion

Dair Grant dair at refnum.com
Mon Sep 17 14:45:39 BST 2007

John Baker wrote:

>You give me the list of "official" street names in a given area and I will
>do the rest.

Aside from the licence issues, the error rates for "official"
street lists are surprisingly high.

I have almost finished mapping Haywards Heath
(http://tinyurl.com/2dxh5p), which has a population of 20K and
covers about 10km^2. Google's map has plenty of errors on it,
and they buy this data from TeleAtlas (who probably have the
best commercial road network for the UK).

You can find streets with the wrong name, which are in the wrong
place, which connect when they shouldn't, are on the map when
they don't exist, exist but aren't on the map, are mapped as a
road but are actually a private driveway, etc.

I don't think having a "definitive" list of street names for an
area is going to be as useful as you think, as short of going
out in person you have no way of knowing how accurate that list is.

I have a geo-tagged photo for every street sign in Haywards
Heath, but if I sent you those then how would you use that information?

The best you could do is estimate that a lot of street names in
an empty area of the map probably mean that area is
under-mapped, but that doesn't actually improve the map.

I have no idea how useful it would be in practice, but a better
way (no licence issues, works outside the UK) to find those
sparse areas might be to use an image-based technique.

Take some tiles from OSM and another service, recolour then so
you just have road/background colours, blur a couple of times
then subtract from each other, and look for large areas where
there's "stuff" in one map but nothing on the other.

My guess is it won't tell you anything your eye couldn't tell
you any way, but it might help you identify holes in otherwise
"complete" areas.

-dair