[OSM-talk] The National Land and Property Gazetteer [was: Suggestion more complete mapping verifactiion]
richard at systemeD.net
Tue Sep 18 10:06:47 BST 2007
David Earl wrote:
> One thing that has been troubling me since I started: why shouldn't a
> local authority claim copyright in its street name signs, which are the
> primary source of name data for all of us?
- Erecting a sign with a name on it doesn't give copyright over the name
- The name wasn't necessarily chosen by the authority
- Choosing a street name may not be creative enough to deserve copyright
- There's an implied contract: street names are provided for
navigation; that's the reason we're using them
- No database right in a list of street names because there's no
selection/discernment in the choice of content for the database (i.e.
it's simply a compendium)
Five off the top of my head. Obviously I'm not a lawyer!
More information about the talk