[OSM-talk] service roads as driveways

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 10:18:41 BST 2008

Robin Paulson wrote:
> i'm not too keen on using highway=unclassified as it's generally seen
> as more important to most mappers, and it's almost always for a public
> road

I think that is the key here. The illogical use of 'unclassified' in the UK is
what causes the problem. So 'service' was added as a designation for a small
road that would probably be 'unclassified' in the rest of the world.

We then add 'public' or 'private' relating to ACCESS, and I see little point
adding yet another main 'designation' such as 'drive' unless there is a real
difference in how these types of road need rendering.

wiki is running incredibly slow at the moment, so I can't check some of the
other fine detail, micro-mapping of private property such as drives, parking
areas and property within an individuals boundaries should be 'ring-fenced'
with tagging that allows this low level detail to be excluded as required?
4 minutes to get http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Highway page ...
I'm almost tempted to suggest highway=private rather than highway=service,
access=private, service=driveway. So I can see the reasoning behind tidying up
some of this micro-mapping detail ... The 'service' attributes seem to
contradict the actual definition of highway=service above

And when did highway=services get added SURELY that is amenity=services ? If I
am looking amenities I would NEVER look in the highway list!

( And a final grump - PLEASE can the ENGLISH page be actually written in
ENGLISH with a link from the county entry to the relevant country page for a
local translation. Take 'India' or 'Korea' as an example of how it should be
done so that those of us who are linguistically challenged can at least
understand the comparison. Although I WOULD like to see the title in the
language of the country since that makes perfect sense? )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL