[OSM-talk] Any cyclists interested in a Grand European Sweden-to-Marathon Mapping Relay?
mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Aug 27 12:44:49 BST 2008
This is just for fun but might also raise some useful publicity as quirky stunt.
Would any cyclist be interested in joining me in a "mapping relay"? My legs are getting too tired trying to map national and regional cycle ways by myself.
The idea is that we each ride and map a segment and then pass on a baton, perhaps a GPS device, to the next person or group. It could take place continuously or over a period of weeks as suits you/us, but you must greet the hand-off riders in person.
You will probably want to ride around your own region but there is nothing to stop you joining other segments if you have a sleeping bag, I'll be happy to put folks up at my house for my segment.
Here are the basic ideas, modifications and suggestions welcome:
- Start: Stockholm, or if there is good interest in Sweden, from the Arctic Circle
- Finish: Ideally Marathon in Greece. Lacking Balkan riders, perhaps Rome or Brindisi in Italy.
- When: If continuous, some time in warmer 2009 weather. Otherwise, we can start as soon as the Swedish segments are organised.
- Possible route: Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland (land of the Bicycle!), Germany, Switzerland/Austria, Hungary, Serbia, F.Y.R.O.M, Greece
- Route variations: Swing through Belgium and France? Adriatic coast: Slovenia, Croatia ....? Have feeder relay coming from UK??
- Length of segment: Entirely up to you as long as you can connect with someone else.
- Segment Route: Ideally along unmapped national or regional cycle routes but the exact segment route is up to the local riders. The objective is fun.
- All GPX tracks to be uploaded and tagged. All new routes to be mapped.
- Does not have to be bicycle. Foot, roller-blade, kayak ... could be added if there is interest.
More information about the talk