[OSM-talk] rendering with mapnik, what do I need?
ml at winfix.it
Fri Feb 22 09:01:39 GMT 2008
Say I would like to set up a server myself. I want to:
* show highways more with the colours used on Michelin maps
* show a bicycle map as three overlays (transparent, with a possibility
to switch them on and off)
* show bus routes for each bus separately as overlays (transparent layers)
1. Is this possible?
2. What do I need? PostgreSQL? Python? What else?
3. What kind of server would be good for this? Would an AMD64 with one
core be able to do this? Do I need more cores? Does 64 bit processing
help? Or would I be just as well off with a Core2Duo or even a Pentium 4?
4. For the disks I was considering to set up a RAID1 mirror with 2 disks
of 750 GB. I guess that would be sufficient?
About these transparent overlays. Do they take as long as generating the
base layer? Or are they easier on the processing?
I would like to do this from 'home' with a connection that has a fixed
IP address and 1 or 2 Mbps upload. I'll probably be shaping the traffic
to limit it and make my own internet connection still usable.
More information about the talk