[OSM-talk] Proliferation of path vs. footway

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 11:20:56 BST 2009

Martin Koppenhoefer schrieb:

>> why not? In Germany: sign footway + additional sign: "Fahrräder frei"

>That's yes, not designated.

Silly question, maybe: but, what does "yes" actually mean? Everyone seems
to use it differently; it was intended originally for a legal right but in
practice has been used in a range of scenarios. In this particular case
("Fahrräder frei" marked footways), do cyclists have a *legal* right to
use the footway, or is it an unoffical, revokable right? If the former,
"designated" would seem appropriate; if the latter "permissive" would seem
the most appropriate.

Nick