[OSM-talk] Parcel Data in OSM?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Feb 18 00:00:14 GMT 2009

Hi,

Many city governments in Massachusetts publish their parcel (lot) data
for free reuse, either individually or through MassGIS. This data is
appropriately licensed for re-use in OSM, and is informative -- in most
cases, it has addresses which can be used for geocoding.

I'm curious as to whether people believe that this data of this type is
appropriate for upload into OSM.

There are clear technical reasons why this data might not belong in OSM
-- the quantity of data is significant, and you can imagine that it
could create a much larger database. At the moment, I'd rather address
the social aspect of whether this data is appropriate to upload to OSM.

A description of the data in question with regard to MassGIS is
available at:

 http://www.mass.gov/mgis/parcels.htm

Looking forward to hearing any and all opinions on this matter.

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta