[OSM-talk] HW for car

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Thu Jan 8 19:13:50 GMT 2009

On Thu, January 8, 2009 12:11, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Have you seen the Norhtec Touche Panel PC
>> <http://www.norhtec.com/products/touche/index.html>?
>>

>> I think it would be suitable for building an in car gps system, do you?
>>  Somewhat expensive though.
>>

> the N810 currently seems to be reasonable priced at amazon.com, though
> RAM and
> CPU seem to be poor compared to the Touche. Though I never tried it,
> http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/carman/
> seems to be a nice toy for it :) .

I own a N810, and it is my current fun gadget ;-)

I use maemomapper in conjuction with minigpsd.

Minigpsd saves your track in a KML file, and puts the raw NMEA data into
the KML file as comments. Additionally, you get a new KML file every five
minutes (configurable) so you don't lose much data even if minigpsd should
crash.

Other applications (like maemomapper) connect to the minigpsd, so you get
transparent tracing for free, and can use any other program in front of
it.

Any other, except for carman, because that one insists on accessing the
GPS API of Nokia directly, but that problem is about to be solved ;-)

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...