[OSM-talk] Anonymous editing

Tue Jan 20 20:37:32 GMT 2009

Yay for 0.6 going live in March.

Can we take this opportunity to finally disable anonymous editing?

Potlatch has required non-anonymous editing since November 2007 (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-November/020068.html
) to the grand total of precisely 0 complaints. If nothing else I'd
like to remove the UI barrier of having to click the button.

Previous discussion:

http://www.google.com/search?q=anonymous+editing+site:lists.openstreetmap.org

cheers
Richard

Postscript on all the usual stuff: no it doesn't mean people can find
out where you are - you can still keep your GPS tracks private, it's
just what you've edited. No you don't have to set a home location if
you don't want to. No it's not a loss of privacy, you can make up a
completely random username and no-one ever gets to know the e-mail
address behind it. No it isn't anything to do with the licence. No
we're not making existing anonymous work public, we're just asking
them to go public from now on to continue editing.