[OSM-talk] Key:smoothness

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 23:15:00 GMT 2009

I think the page needs to be put back to the regular map features standard.

English is an odd language. There are many acceptions to the rule.
This is one of them.

Technically, this tag follows the rule of {{tag|key|value}} where
'excellant', 'good', 'bad', 'horrible'. Are all descriptives of
'smoothness'

For OpenStreetMap, the tag value of 'good' can only be used in a
direct representative fashion.

According to Wikipedia, good.
"to unite, to be associated, to be suitable" are all adjectives. To
they are dependent on something else.
Similarly, "fence" can be used, but "sharp" on its own, cannot be used.

However, ... The point to note for the talk list is that for
"excellent", "good", "intermediate", the wiki pages have not been
created yet.
... So I will create the page.  Then we an divide this HUGE discussion
into a more appropriate Wiki; if we can agree on usage of the term,
"good"  ... and decide that it's not valid for openstreetmap.  Then,
by default to key: smoothness:good would also no longer be valid.
If we can accurately describe "good" as an acceptable attribute value,
example: relation scale 1-5. Good being 2, and very bad being 5. ..
then that makes the term commonly understood, along with describing a
particular mode of transportation.

**
I hope this make sense,
and BTW, for a discussion about the 'voting system'  this page has not
yet been created either.  On this page, it would be appropriate to
describe all of the different available options for voting, as well as
the 'pros' and 'cons' for each method of voting.
- i would recommend a chart for the voting. .. for saying "i agree"
with this tag, is in it's self rather vague. ... if you explain WHY
you agree, then it can be further understood.  ... In many cases, i
have noticed that users would add on a little catch phrase of the WHY
on the voting.   So those who choose not to explain WHY they vote a
certain way, it would remain blank.
- a second example of voting is:  Using the "+1" before you write your
reason, is helpful to the reader also.
- a 3rd example of voting is in the database it's self, if it is used
most of the time, counting the number of usages world wide.

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails