[OSM-talk] Making an offline OpenStreetMap CD/DVD ?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Jul 2 17:20:14 BST 2009

On 02/07/09 16:39, simon at mungewell.org wrote:
> If you want a 'slippy map' displayed in a local webbrowser this can also
> be achieved by having a local webserver or tile cache on the same machine
> that the web browser is on.

Yeah that's pretty much what I want to.

I'm curious if it'd be better to pre-generate all the images before, and
then you're just serving static files, or if it'd be better to have some
sort of web server / database / the whole tile rendering shebang on there.

> Leads me to ask an OpenLayers question.... can it support a fall back on
> the tile server. So one machine has priority covering a specific area, and
> when that area is left another machine takes over?

I'm aiming for this to be totally offline, i.e. the machine this runs on
being totally disconnected from the web. Which means this doesn't really
apply to me.

Rory