[OSM-talk] New editor (was: Making an offline OpenStreetMap CD/DVD?)

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jul 9 17:23:34 BST 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 09:19:16 Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Inge Wallin wrote:
> > Note also that the marble team is working on an OSM editing plugin that
> > will allow the user to directly edit the OSM data.
>
> Do they have anything that we can look at, perhaps the spec they're
> working to or whatever? Don't get this wrong, I have a lot of respect
> for the Marble people, but I'm wary of people without OSM background
> doing an editor - they could easily get things just a little bit wrong,
> and suddenly we have thousands of contributors who break things.

Well, *I* am among the marble people, and I think I know what I am doing.  :-)

Point well taken, however. To be honest I'm not involved in the effort in
question since my other big OSS project KOffice has taken off very much
lately.

> I mean if it is just placing some amenities then let them do what they
> want, but if the editor has the capacity of editing ways then we ought
> to make sure it deals with all the relation stuff that goes with it and
> so on...

I'll try to keep an eye on it.  In the mean time you can check the marble-
devel at kde.org mailing list and see if you can find anything worrying.  If my
impressions are correct, it will take quite some time before it ships.  And
just possibly I will turn up at SoTM so we can discuss it. I'm actually in the
Netherlands right now.

	-Inge