[OSM-talk] Front page design and SEO

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Mar 3 03:51:18 GMT 2009

Something that's come up a few times in chatting to people is the
front page design of the website and how it's been pretty static for a
long time. That's pretty cool as nobody has felt the need to hack it
away and it's sprouted some cool additions with time. But there are
some things that could be nicer, it could be made more obvious that
you could edit for example. One of the things I've heard multiple
times from newbies is that they thought you had to be a hacker to be
able to contribute... so maybe it could be a bit more welcoming to
people.

I asked the CM designers for some quick hacks on what different front
pages could look like which you can see on the wiki page below. There
are some very quick ideas there but it's not a full picture by a long
way.

The other thing that could be better is the search engine optimisation
of the front page so that it shows up higher for some search terms
like "free maps" and stuff.

Anyway some thoughts are jotted down here:

	http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Front_Page

There are a bunch of open questions like what design elements should
stay, what should go, what colour schemes would be neat. Feel free to
contribute and if it's useful we can build a design brief based on
comments and ideas... then if it's useful to the community we can have
them do some more design work to build some cool front page mockups.

Best

Steve