[OSM-talk] Wikipedia POI import?
osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue May 5 20:23:11 BST 2009
Russ Nelson schrieb:
> Any reason not to go through Wikipedia and import everything with a
> coordinate as a POI, with a url=http://wikipedia.org/NAME link, and
> name=NAME where NAME is the name of the Wikipedia entry?
* There is already a free, constantly-updated, machine-readable and,
most importantly, authoritative source of "Wikipedia entry location"
information available: Wikipedia itself.
* Tons of tags for more widely known features (there isn't just
en.wikipedia...). Need frequent updates.
* Wikipedia does contain events, historical features etc. that aren't
usually entered into OSM.
* Sources for Wikipedia's coordinates unknown, but it's probable that
most of them are from Google.
* If subject to copyright: Incompatible licenses.
- GFDL vs. CC-BY-SA 2.0 (now)
- CC-BY-SA 3.0 vs. CC-BY-SA 2.0 (hopefully soon)
- CC-BY-SA 3.0 vs. ODBL (maybe later)
Just some brainstorming.
More information about the talk