[OSM-talk] Wikipedia POI import?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue May 5 22:47:55 BST 2009

Russ Nelson wrote:
> Fine enough, and who sweated hardest to click in a particular point
> on  a Google Map?  Google?  Or the Wikipedia editor[...]?

Sweat-of-the-brow doesn't mean that. It doesn't mean that "A did some work,
but B did more, so B owns the copyright". _Both_ A and B own some copyright.

> Bullshit.  Sorry, but it's bullshit.  Okay, so I have a railroad
> map of New York State which I could drop in toto into OSM.  I
> *claim* to have derived it from completely public-domain
> sources (USGS topo and DOQ).  But you don't know that.  You
> can't know that.  All you can do is close your eyes, let me
> import it, and hope that I'm not infringing some railroad
> mapping company's data.

No. If you tell me (or, by extension, the OSM community) publicly, or I
notice, I _will_ look. I will not close my eyes. If it looks suspicious I'll
raise it on the lists.

You don't need Easter eggs to spot infringement. For example, there is
someone on this list who figured out, correctly, the copyrighted source from
which People's Map got their road numbers. I'll let her speak for herself if
she wants to.

cheers
Richard