[OSM-talk] zones for motorway/in town/outof town?

Radomir Cernoch radomir.cernoch at gmail.com
Wed May 20 23:30:13 BST 2009

Lennard píše v Čt 21. 05. 2009 v 00:01 +0200:
> Don't focus on the highway-in-city bit. Focus on the "$random_road_type
> with a different maxspeed bridges over (or tunnels under) a zone with
> another maxspeed" bit. You'll have two zone polygons overlaying each other.

No, 'maxspeed' tag on a road does not imply a polygon with "zone"!
There can be both in one place. Tag 'maxspeed' on a road is dominant and
overrides any zonal restriction.

However it's important to notice that two polygons can never overlap
(unless there is a futuristic city with zone-30 area flying in the air
above a 130 km/h highway).

> Now we have an urban area, with a circular road with maxspeed=50, and
> streets and cul-de-sacs left and right of that road with maxspeed=30
> zones. And that is just a simple example. The polygons are going to be
> complex in some cases.
>
> > I can imagine a situation, where a normal 50 km/h road goes through the
> > middle of a zone-30. Then there are two options:
> > 1) You split the zone-30 polygon into 2 polygons.
> > 2) You tag the 50 km/h road with "maxspeed=50".
>
> Right, exactly the scenario I mentioned at the top of this msg.

I agree that the polygons are going to be complex. As complex as current
'landuse=residental' polygons or administrative border polygons or...
I know it's pain to work with them, but the solution is to learn JOSM to
split map into layers, not to adjust the data-model.

Radek