[OSM-talk] Mapping everything as areas

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Nov 29 15:25:13 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> The whole point of using an area is that it doesn't behave like a
>> line, though.  If all you have is a line with a width, use a line with
>> a width tag.
>
> Is it? Perhaps I missed the start of the conversation. I had presumed
> "the whole point" was so that the highway was not *limited* by the
> properties of a line.

Yes, I agree.  I'm not sure how what you said disagrees with what I
meant.  Perhaps my phrasing was sloppy.

> Essentially, I'm imagining a line of highly
> variable width.  Is there a use case for a truly arbitrary shape? I
> mean, apart from random areas like oddly shaped carparks, pedestrian
> areas etc - which I assume is not what we're talking about.

Well, yeah.  Depending on what you mean by "highly variable", a lot of
them.  Intersections, cul-de-sacs (turning circles), and roadways with
traffic islands would be three which I come across all the time.

I have a feeling that doesn't answer your question, though.