[OSM-talk] OSM server on a (Ubuntu) VM?

Arlindo Pereira openstreetmap at arlindopereira.com
Tue Dec 21 00:12:22 GMT 2010

Hi there,

I'm planning to build with OpenStreetMap some historic, out-of-copyright
maps (such as [1] and [2]). They would feature many things (such as streets,
mountains and beaches) that do not exist anymore. AFAIK, this kind of data
is not supposed to live on the main OSM server.

So, I'd like to ask: what is the easiest way to build a OSM server? I'm
thinking about running the database and mapnik on a virtual machine
(preferably Ubuntu Server, since I already use Ubuntu on desktop), and
upload only the tiles and OpenLayers to a regular Apache server. A
copy-and-paste sequence of apt-gets would be perfect - I couldn't find it on
the wiki.

My idea is to create a page similar to [3], being the left side the
historical map and on the right the current OSM map.

Thanks a lot,
Arlindo "Nighto" Pereira

1: http://www.bondesrio.com/fotos/mapas/mapa_linhas_1878.jpg
2: http://www.bondesrio.com/fotos/mapas/mapa_linhas_1907.jpg