[OSM-talk] [Candidacy] AGM Foundation 2010 - Girona

Oliver (skobbler) osm.oliver.kuehn at gmx.de
Sun Jul 4 19:57:17 BST 2010

>> Some people might want to achieve a wider use for humanitarian
>> projects. Then address referencing won't help and a license change
>> won't change either. There needs to be common understanding of
>> the vision where OSM is seen in five years from now.
>
>No, there doesn't.
>
>You're talking about it as if these things are mutually exclusive. They're
not.

>OSM right now is the best map in the world for cycling _and_ the best map
in the world for humanitarian >use.[1] This hasn't required a single focus
on either; the focus comes because different people scratch >their own
itches. I want to see a world where people drive less, so I map the National
Cycle Network. >Many OSMers want to see help for Haiti, so they helped to
map Port-au-Prince. And so on.

It might be true that OSM is the best map in the world for cycling and the
best map in the world for humanitarian use. If the higher goal of
OpenStreetMap is to become the best map for cycling and the best map for
humanitarian use I will not complain. I did not know that these are the
strategic goals of OpenStreetMap. However, if the strategic goal is to
become a mainstream map for example then the lack of focus will delay the
achievement of this goal. I am not stating that these projects are mutual
exclusive. I just say that the more projects there are, the longer it takes
to achieve a specific goal.

>You keep bringing up addressing because it's important for Skobbler (which,
incidentally, I think is a >superb product). But that doesn't require me to
stop mapping the NCN, or the HOT guys to stop mapping >Haiti. It certainly
doesn't require that OSM settles on a strategy to concentrate on one of
these three. >Rather, you - as the person who cares about it - simply need
to build some good tools and JFDI.

Thanks for the flowers ;-) The skobbler turn-by-turn navigation is a
showcase projects. I has hit the top ten of the AppStore without having the
addressing in OSM fixed. As the market for turn-by-turn navigation has been
destroyed as the service has been made available for free by some large
players it won't be the product that will decide about skobbler's company
success. I say this because I am not repeating the address topic because of
personal interest. I repeat it because I know that every single user is
performing this confidence test of entering his home address in a search bar
and sees what happens - just because that his the region he can judge the
quality. I you are honest to yourself you see hardly anybody of your friends
using OpenStreetMap as their primary online map despite its excellent level
of map detail.

My personal opinion is that the strengths of OpenStreetMap lies in the large
decentral knowledge. And I think it would make more sense to steer some of
this local power in a certain direction. I consider it a waste of resource
if people map trees unless attributes with a wider use have been captured in
this region. I am pretty sure that some of these people who map trees would
be happy giving a hint what is important for the OpenStreetMap community and
map other elements instead. And until nobody tells them what is important
for the OpenStreetMap community they map what they think is right.

Regards,
Oliver