[OSM-talk] Street guide built from OSM data, looking for feedback

Edward Betts osm at edwardbetts.com
Wed Jul 21 07:43:19 BST 2010

I wrote some code (in Python) to generate a very simple street guide using data
from OpenStreetMap.

Code here: http://github.com/EdwardBetts/streetguide/

Sample output here: http://edwardbetts.com/streetguide/

I just have five samples, all in London: Upper Street, Oxford Street,
Regents Street, Covent Garden and Brick Lane.

It works in Firefox and Google Chrome, but not yet in Internet Explorer. The
output is very rough. You should see a map of the area on the left and a list
of Points Of Interest on the right. The list of POIs includes nodes and ways,
if you click on the name of a node it'll show you the location on the map. I
show extra tags on the node or way. Nodes link to their page in the
openstreetmap browse interface, I will add the same for ways.

Does this look useful, has anybody else done something similar?

I plan to filter out some more of the more borrowing nodes and ways. I'm
mostly interested in shops, restaurants, amenities and stations.

Things I should add:
- Use Nominatim to search for street names and let people generate new guides.
- Find nearest station for subway entrances.
- Don't include house number if street name is not included.
- Improve the HTML and CSS.

If you want me to see some more samples send me the bounding box you want, no
need to send it to the mailing list. Like this: -0.10849,51.53161,-0.10047,51.54661

I'm interested in ideas about how to better organize the data, or for any
other suggestions.

--
Edward.