[OSM-talk] Historical Data in OSM database

Richard Palmer richard.d.palmer at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 00:23:35 GMT 2010

Dear list,

	I posted this query to the talk-gb list a while ago and it was
	suggested I post it here for further discussion.

	I'm interested in adding historical information to the OSM database
	so a timeline can be added to a map to show changes in an area. I've
	mocked up a very simple example at:

		http://demos.cerch.kcl.ac.uk/mapage/

	with a few buildings appearing and disappearing in central London over
	the centuries (Our primary interest is in changes to The Strand).

	I can continue to do this using a standalone copy of the OSM database
	but would prefer it to be made available for other people to
	improve and add to. It's been pointed out to me that there was
	a similiar proposal put by Frankie Roberto some time ago; I wondered
	if any conclusion was come to about adding this data to the main
	database?.

	If it was felt not appropriate to add it, is there some way a
	separate historical database could still be kept in sync in some way
	with the ever changing main database ?.

Many thanks,

Richard

--
Richard Palmer			| Centre for E-Research &
Systems Manager			| Centre for Computing in the Humanities