[OSM-talk] Adding the full name of a business

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Wed Sep 29 10:41:36 BST 2010

Am 29.09.2010 11:21, schrieb M∡rtin Koppenhoefer:
> 2010/9/29 Ed Avis<eda at waniasset.com>:
>> is somewhere between the two.  I guess if it is listed in the phone directory's
>> business section under a particular name, then that name can go in OSM.
>

> this is legally not correct, while it might be assumable for most
> cases that it will go well. People have to agree to be listed in phone
> directories, but that doesn't imply that they also want to be listed
> on other services like OSM, or that their consent for the phone book
> is in any way trasferable --- theoretically you would have to ask them
> on an individual basis (and to be sure, get them sign a form that
> consents the use of their data and keep this form in archive).

I usually put on the map what I can see on the outside of the building.
If there is a plate with name and phone number then this information is
definitely public available without any restrictions. If I only have a
name I'll do a google search. If the address, phone numbers and email
addresses are on their homepage I don't see any reason to not put them
into osm.

Peter