[OSM-talk] Introductory OSM Videos

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:38:55 BST 2011

In honor of OSM's birthday, I present to the OSM community a new
series of videos on OpenStreetMap.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCE6296A33CF47955&feature=mh_lolz

They're a set of Khan Academy style videos. That is they're each short
5-15 minute videos on a particular topic of OpenStreetMap. Right now
there's about two hours of video, covering the basic concepts: all the
way from nodes and tags, to routing, changesets and rendering.

The videos are all on Youtube, but you can also get all the videos in
Ogg Theora format at http://www.emacsen.net/osm/basics
They're released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

I hope for these videos to be a starting point for OpenStreetMap
users. I don't show any editor, so they're not How-To videos, instead,
I show how the abstractions work underneath the covers, which means
that whatever editor you choose, these videos will be informative.

Each video is designed to be largely self-contained, covering a single
topic per video, but at the same time, each video builds on the
concepts of the previous videos, so you can watch them in order, or
use them as a reference.

If you find them useful, or if there's something you'd like me to
cover, please let me know. I think there's certainly enough material
to make lots more videos if the community wants to see them.

I want to thank the OpenStreetMap community for helping inspire me to
make these videos, and again, wish the project a very Happy Birthday!

- Serge