[OSM-talk] How to deal with versioning

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jun 1 19:12:57 BST 2011

Martijn,

On 06/01/11 19:59, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> I don't think that will be a tenable attitude in the longer run.
> OpenStreetMap and public sector data (that's what we're mostly dealing
> with when we consider imports) will not continue to be two totally
> disparate entities, who have 'ownership' over the data that is in their
> respective databases. I foresee[1] a future reality in which the flow of
> information between OpenStreetMap and the public sector can be more
> bi-directional and also more continuous

It is, in my opinion, short-sighted to try and incorporate such data
into OSM. OSM is for data that we maintain, that we improve, change, or
delete. Anything else has no place in OSM. That is not to say that
government data can be *useful* - it's just that OSM is not primarily a
data storage, but a data editing and maintenance system. Any data that
does not require our editing and maintenance should be outside of OSM,
and merged with OSM data at the rendering/processing stage. Our editors
should not be burdened with such inert information.

Conflicts would never arise, because either *we* are the master for
something, or the external source is. Stuff for which we are not the
master will not be in OSM; it will live separately.

> But also for much simpler situations this may be a useful thing.

That's a different issue. Maybe in the long run we'll throw away our
svn-like central database, and everyone can simply fork the planet on
github ;)

Bye
Frederik