[OSM-talk] Comprehensiveness or level of detail rating

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri May 6 13:39:03 BST 2011

Has anyone discussed the creation of a comprehensiveness or level of
detail rating? What I mean by this is different from a quality rating
or metric, as that is a very difficult task which entails comparison
against "authoritative" sources or some other process, and different
from the general definition of completeness which measures what
percentage of real world objects of type X exist in the OSM database.

Right now I'm thinking about using a comprehensiveness rating in the
process of going through all the state routes in Virginia, but this
could apply to any road, and similar ratings could be created for
hiking trails, waterways, POIs, etc.

Here's a shot at a few levels, with a slight orientation towards
routing, probably the most common use of road data:

Level 0:
Road way present and connected to other ways, and tagged at least with
highway=road if classification is unknown

Level 1:
Name and classification (e.g. highway=secondary)

Level 2:
Route number, two ways created (if divided), oneway=*

Level 3:
Access restrictions, max speed (if warranted, type=route+route=road
relation created to tie ways of a numbered/named route together)

Level 4:
Turn restrictions, intersections in the form of highway=crossing,
highway=traffic_signals, highway=motorway_junction, etc.

Level 5:
Bridges and tunnels, surface

Level n?
Junction relations to tie signals/crossings together, turn lanes added, ???

I'm sure I've missed some things, and have parts out of order, so
please provide your feedback. I'm guessing this has been discussed in
some form before, but I can't find it. Please point me to such
discussions if you know of them!

Regards,
-Josh