[OSM-talk] Potlatch2 preset "designation"

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 13:07:29 BST 2012

Hi,

In recent times, I've noticed more and more contributions with an
inappriopriate usage of the tag "designation" (e.g. duplicates "name"
content in amenities or buildings). Further investigations showed that
all of them came from Potlatch2 editor where "Designation" is in all
"Details" tagging dialogs. Is is really a good idea when we know that
"designation" is a legal status (mannly highways) and only interesting
some countries (UK mainly) ([1]) ? Also Taginfo is reporting 31000
different values for 111200 instances ([2]) for this key which clearly
indicates that the tag is misinterpreted.
Could we restrict this preset entry for some features only (e.g.
highway, nature reserve) and with a drop-down list of values for
instance in P2 ?

Pieren

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:designation
[2] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=designation