[OSM-talk] Nominatim and language tags

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 13:16:45 GMT 2012

Hi,

We are doing some work to improve the linking of name and name:xx tags
in nominatim (basically adding better language fall backs) but in
order to do that we need to have a list of which OFFICIAL languages
are used in which countries.

Since we've been unable to find such a resource I've started building
one.  You can find my first pass on the wiki here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/Country_Codes

but as you will see it is missing codes for a lot of the countries.

So, rather than me spending the next few days of my life researching,
and probably getting a lot of them wrong, could anyone who knows the
official languages for a missing country go and fill them in?  It
would be much appreciated and will help to improve the presentation of
nominatim search results!

Official languages only (i.e. ones that are used on signs in that
country), not languages that are simply spoken in that country.

Cheers,
--
 Brian