[OSM-talk] Nice problem to have

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 07:31:53 GMT 2012

Kai Krueger wrote

> This imho shows that the publicity of Apple and Foursquare using OSM
> directly resulted in new mappers for OSM. Although it isn't the complete
> record, that was around the 13th of September 2009 (anyone know if there
> was a special occasion arount that time?), it is the second highest number
> yet. Furthermore, with the news so fresh, perhaps we will still beat the
> record.

Well, to answer my own question if we can beat the record of most new
mappers in a week, it is a resounding yes. This week (beginning 8th of
March) saw nearly 3300 new mappers, clearly beating the old record!

Richard Fairhurst pointed out that the old record was set in the week
Monopoly City Streets launched (a large scale internet game using
OpenStreetMap data), so again due to a popular user of OpenStreetMap.

So the more large sites use OSM, the faster the mapping community grows and
therefore it is imho import for OSM and its community to care about its data
consumers as it benefits from them even if they don't "give back".

Kai

P.S. I have posted the daily statistics since the beginning of the year  at
http://pastebin.com/rHt9MT3f