[OSM-talk] More DNS issues with tile.openstreetmap.org (not resolving for me currently)

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Sat Aug 17 00:26:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

Quick, very technical background....

* openstreetmap.org has 3 NS servers [abc].ns.bytemark.co.uk
* tile.openstreetmap.org CNAMES tile.geo.openstreetmap.org (bytemark)
* geo.openstreetmap.org has 4 NS servers [abcd].ns.openstreetmap.org
* tile.geo.openstreetmap.org is served by a PowerDNS Geo backend, which
based on source query IP replies with country code cname eg:
gb.tile.openstreetmap.org. ([abcd].ns.openstreetmap.org)
* gb.tile.openstreetmap.org replies with CNAME to closest Tile Cache Server
eg: amsterdam.tile.openstreetmap.org (bytemark)
* amsterdam.tile.openstreetmap.org replies with IP (bytemark)

The mistake...
A mistake in a deployment script of ours (fixed here:
http://git.openstreetmap.org/dns.git/commitdiff/42f905a1a337d4d0ccf0acb5ee0af8acc63df059)
incorrectly set the NS servers for
geo.openstreetmap.org to [abcd].ns.openstreetmap (note no suffix TLD) with
a very long TTL (~54 hours) causing the breakage.

Tile traffic is down a few % points and is improving. Yes, there are some
hacks we could use to get around the problem (tile2.openstreetmap.org or
geo2.openstreetmap.org), but we decided to just wait a little
(easier/safer/less-ugly-hack).

There are many great alternative maps:
 * http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/
 * http://openstreetmap.de/karte.html