[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sat Aug 17 05:31:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>     it has been proposed to make the newly released iD v1.1 the default
> editor on openstreetmap.org, meaning that if someone doesn't explicitly
> chose an editor they will open iD instead of Potlatch.

Given the maintenance situation on P2, promoting iD seems like the only way
forward.

That said some of the benefit of iD will be tempered by the downsides.
 Perhaps there is a way to hint to users that if iD is too slow on their
particular machine, that legacy P2 might be a better option for them?

---
As others posted, I think the trash can icon is far too prominent: three
clicks from the home page and an new contributor's first action with OSM
could
be to accidentally delete something!  Especially for a POI it is odd: you
click the POI and the most prominent thing that shows up is a trash can:
that's
kind of intimidating.