[OSM-talk] Mapnik at zoom=19

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sun Jan 13 20:23:28 GMT 2013

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure it was once possible
to zoom in 1 more level than it is now, on the slippy map on
openstreetmap.org. This was useful because often what is simply an icon
at z=18 will turn into an icon plus a business name at z=19,
particularly when there are many businesses nearby. At the moment, if a
business has not won the "placement lottery" such that their icon
happens to be far enough from others that the name shows up, one has to
edit the map and examine the node to get this info, which is rather a
hassle (and not easy on a mobile phone!).

Did we ever do z=19? Did we stop because it's a load more disk space, or
something like that? If not, could we consider it?

Gerv