[OSM-talk] RFC - OSM contributor mark

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Wed Jan 16 19:08:56 GMT 2013

Thanks again everyone for reviewing and weighing in. I'll try to summarize feedback here and identify adjustments and open decisions. I've added all I'm seeing actionable right now to the pull request on OSM.org [1]. I'm not aiming to close down the thread for good here, so please respond if I'm missing anything or if clarifications bring up additional suggestions. My next actions are to work with Saman (copied) on first adjustments based on feedback here.

While many suggested improvements, I am hearing general agreement to further pursue this proposal and work on implementing it.

## Clarifications

My initial writeup could have been clearer: This RFC _does_ seek to replace the currently recommended line "(c) OpenStreetMap contributors" linking to http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright with a visual mark linking to a future http://openstreetmap.org/contributors. Examples of the visual mark can be found on http://yhahn.github.com/byosm/examples.html and the suggested /contributors page can be found at http://yhahn.github.com/byosm. osm.org/copyright would be linked from osm.org/contributors in the future, more below.

This is intricately linked to the goal of this proposal being to better promote OSM's openness on any OSM based map by:

- making it more compelling to click through to OSM
- providing a real entry point to understanding and working with OSM on the destination page

## Hammer mark

This has probably been the most discussed issue :) There have been multiple voices expressing concern with the suggested hammer-in-teardrop mark. The main ones were:

1. It should have some textual component saying "OpenStreetMap" or "OSM"
2. It should be more prominent
3. It is not unique/compelling enough

Points 1 and 2 are easy adjustments, 3 is the tough one. I do sense we have agreement on a visual element instead of just a text line but we're not quite excited about the hammer. I'd love to follow up on this topic separately, rehashing how we got to the current mark and suggesting alternatives.

## Terminology: "Contributor mark" vs e. g. "Attribution mark"

Some have pointed out that 'attribution mark' might be a more accurate name. That might be, I don't want to change up at the moment but definitely a discussion to be had if ever we use this term more "officially" on openstreetmap.org.

## Legal requirement

As the page osm.org/contributors is to be the first one linked from a map it needs to fulfill legal requirements. I suggest we adjust the text on osm.org/contributors to explicitly reference ODbL and link to an updated openstreetmap.org/copyright.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/180#issuecomment-12293006

## Attributions

There are currently attributions to specific data sources on http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright (Austria to United Kingdom). These need to be accomodated on `/contributors`. I see this as an opportunity to add an important facet to `/contributors`.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/180#issuecomment-12333486

## Refine message

There were suggestions to focus the message more on encouraging potential mappers. I think that's a good idea. One way of doing this could be to replace "Learn more about OSM" with "Get started editing". That would be ideal, there is obviously the problem of not really having a spot to link to to 'just get started mapping'. Another one is to just tweak the language we're using.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/180#issuecomment-12333756

## Design

There were comments on the design being heavy on pictures and not using the current OpenStreetMap.org template. I'm thinking these are good things. With adjustments, I'd love to keep it this way. The pictures help us communicate that OSM is created by many many, many individuals, the full screen page allows us to focus the message. And yes, there is scrolling before hitting the links. This is good as we'll want to have the space for a couple of points to get across before people jump off. It's not the case that we've got great introductory properties to link to right now :) In the future this could change: E. g. as soon as we have great introductory material we could link this more prominently "Get started mapping" above the fold. Or we could come up with a variation of the page that offers a link into an editor placing you right where you left the map.

That said, we should work on taking a stronger queue from the overall osm.org appearance to link this ad stronger to OpenStreetMap:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/180#issuecomment-12333532

[1] Related pull request on osm-website: https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/180

Alex Barth
http://twitter.com/lxbarth