[Tilesathome] Proposal: Keeping tileset as one file

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Mon Jun 9 12:45:31 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:43:57PM +0200, Michael Bergbauer wrote:

> I had a look at the code recently, and I was quite surprised that the
> unzipping is already done on the NFS storage and not locally.

The reason is that, when the code was written, all files were stored on a local disk. NFS only came into play when the t at h server moved to a different machine. Given that we will move away from NFS again, nobody seems to have invested time to optimize for NFS access.

> When doing this stuff on local disks, there wouldn't be much difference
> when doing the extraction into a ram disk and operation on the files
> there compared to extracting the files to the correct volume and doing
> the necessary there.

Yes, that is what we found on the dev server too.

> I wasn't able to do a verification of this theory so far, and it wouldn't
> be a big speedup, but we're currently on the limit, so everything can
> help.

Everything can help, but moving away from a NFS attached disk should be the lowest hanging fruit that would make many of the proposed solutions redundant, I'd gues.

spaetz