[Tilesathome] Proposal: Keeping tileset as one file

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jun 15 23:27:51 BST 2008

Hi,

> I've made a wiki page summarizing the proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tiles%40home/Tileset_as_one_file

It just occurred to me that the mapnik tile server uses a system of
"meta tiles" where they combine 64 tiles of one zoom level into one big
file. They have ready utilites for moving existing single tiles in/out
of these files, and they have an apache module that efficiently answers
tile requests based on these meta tiles.

Maybe we could use the same system and get some synergies?

Bye
Frederik