[Tilesathome] Osmarender Perl implementation

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Mar 8 12:07:19 GMT 2008

On 08/03/2008 10:58, David Earl wrote:
> I think this new implementation offers all sorts of interesting
> opportunities.

Three others that occurred to me:

- breaking up long horizontal text into lines (as Mapnik does)

- online map preparation: a ready installed instance which gives you a
PDF of the area you ask for at the scale you want and with a GUI to
choose and modify the visibility and styles of different things.

- rendering areas, linear features, text on a path, horizontal text,
icons all into different layers (and by layer number too), so that it is
easier to manipulate for post-processing. For example, if there is a
collision of a place name with a street name, you'd be able to use
Photoshop/Gimp to move it without affecting the underlying graphics. It
would need rendering to a format that supports multiple layers (e.g.
TIFF), though I suppose multiple PNGs would work.

I'm curious you did this in Perl rather than Java or C. I must learn Perl!

David