[Tilesathome] New preprocessor - area center

Jiri Klement jiri.klement at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:08:39 BST 2008

>> Of course client performance is good, but it's not critical. The XSLT
>> version basically is just unmaintained and unmaintainable. That is why
>> the perl replacement was started.

I don't agree. XSLT version works and it's still useful for
transforming osm - svg in browser or for making custom maps. Setting
up orp might be too dificult for some users. The only problem I see
with XSLT is performance and memory consumption.

> I think it was also eating up more memory.  Since I switched to or/p I
> have not had any memory problems on any of my clients.  (I have memory
> problems myself, but that's a different subject...)

That's probably true. XSLT 1.0 is really limited language, you have to
use recursion too often. XSLT 2.0 is much more practical but
unfortunatelly it's not widely supported. Only open source project
supporting XSLT 2.0 I know of is saxon.