[Accessibility] Tool for mapping [was:Making maps for osm]

Lulu-Ann at gmx.de Lulu-Ann at gmx.de
Wed Jan 27 15:27:11 GMT 2010

Corrie wrote:

> Hi guys. Listen i am walking mapping the southern suburbs of johannesburg.
> All the smaller areas that i dont find on the maps. I need a mobile
> program to store my data and upload it to you guys for entry. Is there a way that
> i can do this please? Ok ok i know you'll think his nuts but i like to get
> accurit readings so i walk from suburb to suburb and mark the starting end
> end points as well as the most important points. Please mail me directly
> with info or program links. Kind regards Corrie.

Hi Corrie,

I'n not a guy, forgive me if I answer nevertheless :-)

For seeing people:

There are many programms, the choice depends on the mobile phone / pda / other device.
See the OpenStreetMap wiki for a list of applications
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org

For the blind:

I know only  one application for mobile phones with some versions of the Symbian operating system and (external or internal) GPS that works with a screenreader, it is called Loadstone-GPS. Free download and instructions:
http://www.loadstone-gps.com
As the Screenreader Nuance Talks also works on Symbian OS, these cellphones are widely spread.
Note: Loadstone also has its own point exchange function, that has nothing to do with OSM.

If you do not have a Symbian phone, you might want to use a data logger.
This device has only a switch to start and stop recording tracks.
It should be connected as an USB disk to be accessible and not need an additional software. First choice for the output file format is .gpx,
more commonly found are .kml and .nmea.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/for_the_blind for instructions how to upload your collected tracks.

At the moment we have one blind mapper in Finland and one blind mapper in India collecting tracks with this method.
Currently there are two seeing mappers in Germany working on these tracks.
(We could need help!)

Regards,
Lulu-Ann