[Accessibility] Getting know

Jan Hegr hegrjan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:53:13 GMT 2012

Hello there,
sorry for asking questions which were probably discussed here already, but
there's no suitable possibility to search the list archive.

I'm blind developper trying to find anything regarding maps which is
accessible and working. I'm rather skilled in C/C++ and PHP and have no
experience with programming the mobile platforms, but I'm ready to learn.
When you know one language, you know all of them. ;-)
Since now I've been using the Loadstone, OSM exports and the Google Maps
route plan, but I believe there's much more what could a blind user get.

Don't you know, when will the LALM project cover also the rest of Europe?
I'm interested mainly for the Czech Republic. Is there any possibility to
help with development from my side?

I found the project OSM Direction tool for Visually Impaired (OpenVoiceNav)
made by Rajan Vaish. It seems it's been created as a Google Summer project
and is no longer supported. Have anyone seen it working? Is it worth to
rewrite it to work again and support nowadays technologies?

Is there any editor which would make me able to edit the OSM data - adding
new POIs, adding the blind concerned tags to crossings and so on?

Is there another senseful way I could help us all?

Thank you for your reactions. Best regards,
Jan