[Announce] OpenStreetMap Voluntary Re-licensing Program begins

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu Aug 12 10:07:22 BST 2010

As promised, and long awaited, the next phase of the OSM License Upgrade has arrived. Phase 2 - Existing Contributor Voluntary Re-licensing  [1]  has begun, and you may indicate your acceptance of the new Contributor Terms for your existing OSM API account.  To accept the terms visit http://openstreetmap.org/user/terms, (you may be asked to login first), or your user settings page.

Please note that OpenStreetMap is not changing the license on any published data at this point.  Existing contributors are being asked to permit re-licensing of their data in the future when it makes sense to do so.

There is no decline button, and no obligation to answer yet.  Existing Contributor Voluntary Re-licensing is for those who wish to accept the terms and get on with mapping.

We'll be publishing which users have accepted so that we can all see the progress in terms of users and re-licensed data.

We hope that you will accept the new Contributor Terms [2] and ODbL for each of your user accounts if you have more than one.

You can read more at:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan/Phase_2_-_Existing_Contributor_Voluntary_Re-licensing_Program

Michael Collinson
Chair, OpenStreetMap Foundation License Working Group

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan#PHASE_2_-_Existing_Contributor_Voluntary_Re-licensing_.28started_10th_August_2010.29

[2] The new Contributor Terms:

http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms_Summary - Summary

http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms - Full text and links to translations