[Announce] New OSM GeoData License Status

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Feb 9 17:06:52 GMT 2010

Here is an update from the License Working Group.

We feel we've reached a reasonable community consensus to move forward carefully based on results from the OSMF member vote and from the general community poll (below).

At the moment, we are trying to address some concerns raised by OSM and OSMF members about the new Contributor Terms.  These have been slightly modified and the latest version can be seen here http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms . If any one is interested in what the changes are and why, I'll be writing to the legal-talk list shortly. We expect to get this finally reviewed and ready in the next few days.

The next step is introduce "dual licensing" for *new* OpenStreetMap contributors as soon as possible.  When they register, they will be asked to license their contributions under both CC-BY-SA and ODbL until and when the ODbL is finally in place.  This is an important step as it has always been the most urgent step step in the process ... the longer we leave it, the more contributors we have to be contacted.

Follow ups to legal-talk please!

Mike

The OSMF member vote has been closed, and the results from 270 members polled are:

  Approved the process:        132
  Did not approve the process:  16
  Didn't vote:                 122

alternatively,

  Approval rate: 89%
  Turnout rate:  55%

You can see full results, including a survey of member's opinions for future direction at:

http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/OSMF_member_vote_results

The open poll on on general community reaction is available here and is still open if you want to add your view:

http://doodle.com/feqszqirqqxi4r7w