[Design] Homepage - map layers

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Fri Oct 28 08:42:47 BST 2011

Having more tile choices at osm.org would be great. Could this perhaps be
something that would highlight some "Best of OSM" in a new way: "Check out
this Open MapQuest OSM style or this Cloudmade's Fresh -- or this newcomer
style from HikeBikeMap".

To articulate better:
I'd like to see the handful of best tiles with global coverage be added to
OSM.org in a way or another. Ideally there would be some simple explanation
on what each specific tiles are especially good for. E.g.
- Mapnik: a comprehensive generic use map style that tries to show as much
as possible in an eye-pleasing way.
- OpenCycleMap: Targeted for the cyclists as well as other light traffic and
pedestrians. Includes contours.
- Open MapQuest: Simple style that doesn't show many details, which makes it
an excellent base map for many use cases.
- Cloudmade's Fresh
- Cloudmade's Midnight commander: "Night vision tiles"
- Cloudmade's Fine line: simple "road map" style
- HikeBikeMap: Beautiful :)
- what else?

I just pulled these descriptions out of my head (at 3am). So, not even
trying to have anything but a first crack. But something along those lines
could be good imho.

I'd also _love_ to see (Bing) imagery as a layer + a imagery+transparent_osm
layer as options. This is clearly something that no one at OSM can choose
but would it be (a) desired and (b) possible to get some partner to make
this possible?

And could someone, e.g. Bing, help make OSM search better? (I really don't
care what URL that would happen at. Ideally at osm.org.)

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--