[Design] personas / audience

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:03:01 BST 2011

On 9/13/11 10:28 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
> Data consumers - They've heard about our awesome Hot, Fresh data and
> now they want it.  They'll need to know how to responsibly consume
> OpenStreetMap data without irresponsibly consuming OpenStreetMap
> resources.

There are imho two very distinct types of "data consumers" and it is
probably worth keeping them separate as their needs are quite different.

1) Developers - They'll need to know how to responsibly consume
OpenStreetMap (raw) data without irresponsibly consuming OpenStreetMap
resources. This includes things like usage policies, licenses and
potentially links to external developer services.

2) Endusers - They might have heard of how wonderful  OpenStreetMap is,
might have mapped a few POIs or streets and now want to know how to
actually use OpenStreetMap in their daily lives. Unlike the first group,
they are possibly quite tech unsavy. So they will mostly want nicely
organised lists of existing applications that utilise OpenStreetMap data
and links to the "wider OSM universe".