[Design] SotM11: BoF meeting

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Sep 15 19:16:18 BST 2011

Dear all

One sunny lunchtime at SOTM I saw Matt gesticulating to fellow mappers
outside on the grass and I immediately knew that design was being
discussed. This was confirmed by noting Mike in the circle of discussion.

I walked over there and was pleasantly surprised by both the high level
of discussion and critically the deep interest in taking some concrete
steps toward MakingThingsBetter(TM).

The Google Analytics roadblock was mentioned by me based on the deep
skepticism shown in the past to using commercial services in OSM.
Personally, I'm not ideologically driven and will use whatever works.
I'm perfectly happy using GA for a week or two, collect some stats and
make them available. If this piwik thing works just as well then fine.
Personally I think the simplest possible thing is to put a line of JS
from GA in and be done with it, and we're just creating more work for
ourselves, but it's not me choosing to go do the work.

I'd like to thank Mike for being interested and pursuing things here. I
don't think Mike or anyone else is of the opinion that they should come
up with all the ideas and then "Tom should go do the work" or anything
like that. It's more that we're at the start of a long and inclusive
process to find better design principals for our beautiful website.

At the start of that process it sounds all very loose and space cadet,
but that's on purpose. To collect ideas, opinions, and not leave any
stone unturned. As things go on, the scope narrows, the vision becomes
more defined and mockups and code are built.

Please don't base opinions of the probability of success on how loose
things feel right now. What's happening is pretty standard design
process. Let's be open to new ideas, not get stuck in the tactics of
this service vs. that service and help everyone here with a creative
mind integrate with the rest of us. Let's be mindful that the most basic
thing's needed to people building a design are, perhaps for good
reasons, not immediately available. Things like the numbers Mike is
looking for. That's going to be frustrating to people used to having the
tools available, and it's going to be frustrating to those being told we
need the tools. But either way, we're all working toward the same goal here.

Steve