[Openstreetmap-dev] Coding standards?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 09:44:48 BST 2005

> Hi,
>
> are there any coding standards for the source code established?

So far the standard has been "what Steve did to get it working" followed by
"what people did to improve it" :)

> As
> example, I noticed, that the java code is different from the usually used
> Sun's Java coding standard (classes start with capital, 4 spaces tab
> length, "{" in the same line as "if"...).
>
> If none code convention is set yet, how about using one? For Java, I
> prefer http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html (maybe
> because  I am lazy and there are plugins that reformate the code using
> this standard everywhere? ;-)

Yep, those are sensible conventions for the Java code in the future (except
that it's being replaced with Ruby).

However - it's not worth going back and rewriting anything just because it
doesn't look like you want it to.  That just generates unnecessary changes
in the SVN history and makes it hard to track what's really changing.

Bigger fish to fry,

Tom.