[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: MapServer

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Sat May 21 18:19:14 BST 2005

* On 21-May-2005 at  3:40AM PDT, Florian said:

> But whats with other project like: http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/ ?
> How will the data be stored?

MapServer can read vector data from a WFS and render it on the fly. At
the hack session today I managed to get the two to talk to each other
for a very small dataset. Next on my to-do list is to fetch out the
contents of the OSM database (or at least a fair amount of it) via
XML-RPC, stuff it in a PostGIS database, and experiment with
generating map views. If WFS-T will in fact do revision management
etc. like the OSM back-end requires, then we perhaps we will develop
it in parallel with the main thread of OSM (e.g. XML-RPC + MySQL) with
an eye towards evaluating their relative merits when we know a bit
better what WFS-T really offers us.

SDE