[Openstreetmap-dev] drawing algorihtms

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Mon May 23 14:27:55 BST 2005

I've had to look at google maps a bit lately

looking closely at

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=aberdeen+place+london&spn=0.015167,0.034171&hl=en

for example, I think it'd be possible to recreate that by starting with
a black background. dra your lines by iterating a pixel at a time down
the line drawing a filled white circle at each pixel. hence the rounded
edges in goole maps.

now you have a load of black islands. fill those with that white brown
colour and the black pixels which touch a white pixel the darker brown.
i think its approximately that simple, though there are details with the
white -> darkbrown -> lightbrown boundaries. the black/white colouring
is just to make it a clear description...

ideas?

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/